This Spicy Sausage Rigatoni is so simple and SO GOOD. Chewy tubes of rigatoni swimming in a delicious sauce made of Italian sausage, San Marzano tomatoes, red wine, and spices. Add some crusty bread to sop up some of the sauce!
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
• half of a yellow onion, minced
• 2 stalks celery, minced
• 2 carrots, minced
• 12 ounces spicy Italian sausage (casings removed – just the ground meat)
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 cup red wine
• 1 28 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, including their juices
• 1/4 cup balsamic or Italian dressing (optional – for some zing!)
• 10–12 ounces rigatoni
• Butter, parmesan, or basil for topping
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots – saute for 10 minutes or so, until the vegetables are very soft.
2. Add the ground sausage, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. When the sausage is fully cooked, add the wine and let it sizzle out.
3. Add the tomatoes and optional dressing – simmer for 20-30 minutes so the sauce reduces a bit.
4. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Add the pasta to the sauce and stir gently to combine. It should be saucy but not runny. Transfer to a large serving dish and top with Parmesan and parsley or basil. Serve with more wine!